Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A (not so) Sticky Situation

Blog Reboot! It’s time to get off my duff and start doing things. Yes, I do realize that writing a blog does involve sitting on one's duff. Please don’t distract me with such details.

Today I decided to do something after work that did not involve sitting. Not sure exactly what that was, I went straight into the basement and found a box of, um, “crap”, that was rescued from dad’s workshop. First thing on top of the box was a roll of adhesive pipe insulating tape. Great! Our hot water pipes could use some insulation against the cold basement. Should make for slightly warmer showers.

So, in a manner totally uncharacteristic of somebody so fond of procrastination, I instantly got out the stepstool and proceeded to start wrapping a pipe. Okay, there’s a little bit of technique to this. It seems to be going on a bit lumpy, and it isn’t sticking all that well. Better get the package and double check the directions. Hey look, the price tag is from Bradlee’s. Didn’t they go out of business 20 years ago? Actually they went bankrupt in 2000, according to Wikipedia, but judging from the packaging and the price ($1.50), this is old stuff.

What we’re dealing with here is some ancient adhesive that lost its stickiness probably around the time Reagan left office. Acutally, if I Google “mortell pipe insulation”, the most recent reference I can easify find is in the May 1977 issue of Popular Mechanics. Hello Jimmy Carter!

Thus, initiative was shown, a valiant attempt was made at putting something to use. But in the end, it will take too much effort for a sub-standard result. If I really want my pipes insulated, there’s better and easier alternatives available today. As much as I hate waste (and I do hate it in neurotic proportions), I’m gonna have to convince myself that chucking this stuff is the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment