Sunday, July 8, 2012

Ramping up the mileage

Time to dust off the blog and announce that I finally have a foothold at 30 miles a week of "running", having covered 30+ miles for three weeks straight now.  In the spirit of lies, damn lies, and statistics, I included the mileage from my recent hike of Mt. Monadnock to reach 34 miles this week.  On the other hand, if it wasn't included, I'd have the worlds most exhausting 28 mile week.  But I digress.

The reason for this uptick is not only the vague idea that I might try and run a fall marathon, but also that I've recently joined the SQRR team for the Vermont 100 on 100 relay race.  This means I'll be racing three legs totaling about 15-18 miles.

And since this is a multi-leg relay, instead of doing a single long run on the weekends, I'll be splitting the long run into several smaller runs with breaks in between, to better simulate the actual race conditions.  So today it was two 5.6 mile runs (on two different routes actually, total coincidence that they're the same mileage).  This meant coming home sweaty twice, obsessing over the numbers from my run twice, and showering twice (and trying to dry off with a towel that was still damp from the first shower).

Looks like I'm going to have to streamline my running logistics a bit, and maybe even (gasp) not keep detailed track of my heart rate and split times on every run!

No comments:

Post a Comment