Monday, October 22, 2018

A Hero Emerges

Grrr I hate cancer, I just want to grab my chainsaw and go running after cancer cells and cut them up like Ash going after the Evil Dead.  Not quite a practical idea, but it is the image I want to have in my head, and it's a great excuse for a campy photo opportunity:


It's super easy to be worried right now.  I've been given a diagnosis but have to wait my turn to see the oncologist before the heavy artillery can come to my rescue.  What can I do in the meantime to fight the battle against this aggressive and vile enemy inside me?  It turns out there's a number of things.

For starters, I can share my story and reach out to others for help and support.  This has worked wonderfully.  I've received so much love, support, advice, and general well wishes that I am in awe.  It also led to a wonderful phone call this morning with "Coach Jeff", a stage 4 prostate cancer survivor who has completed two ironman triathlons since his diagnosis 4 years ago.  He is living proof that people with late stage cancer can beat back the disease and thrive.  I'm finding other survivors to use as a source of knowledge and inspiration as well, but when one is both an ironman and a late stage cancer survivor, you gotta call them out by name.

The next thing I can do is eat healthier.  Rumor has it that cancer cells rely on sugar to survive.  Of course, the rest of the body needs some to survive as well, but excess sugar makes life easier for the cancer cells and makes life harder for the normal cells as they struggle to cope with the excess nutrition.  So, less sugar, cut out the dairy, less processed foods, more plants and less animals, and the balance of power should shift to the healthy cells.  It's not a cure for cancer by any means, but it does put a finger on the scale in favor of recovery.  It's also an excuse to post a picture of last night's dinner, salmon with raw veggies and quinoa:


But wait a minute.  That would also mean no bowl of chocolate ice cream sundae while lounging in front of the TV.  Man this cancer thing does suck!  What a crappy disease!  Truth is I've been wanting to eat better for a long time, but faster running times aren't as compelling a reason as simple survival.

Next, I can spend more time resting, relaxing, and even napping.  The immune system can go after and attack cancer cells (though it's not clear if they use chainsaws to do so), but if I'm stressed and sleep deprived, my immune system won't be up for the job.  Like diet, this won't cure cancer on its own but it's another finger on the scale.  So here is what a hero fighting cancer actually looks like:


Not as exciting as running around with a chainsaw, but trust me, that's what I dream of when asleep.

And finally, the one universal bit of advice I've been given is to keep a positive attitude!  I've had my dark moments, but right now I'm totally pumped.  Writing this blog post required me to put thought into what I can do to fight the battle in this very moment, instead of anxiously waiting for the next doctor's appointment.  I'm writing it because people are interested in my story.  Thus, your interest and support are inspiring me to do everything I can to beat this disease.  I am standing on your shoulders.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment