Thursday, January 24, 2019

Day 98, All Aboard the Pineapple Express

It is said that laughter is the best medicine.  Therefore, any substance that has a reputation for causing “the giggles” must be great medicine, am I right?  This was the epiphany I recently had regarding medical marijuana.

My first attempts at using medical marijuana were with edibles, with mixed results.  While there are several reasons specific to edibles for this, the bigger reason was that I was buying into the hype that it’s possible to get medicinal benefits without getting stoned.  While this is somewhat true, for me at least it’s much easier to see benefit if I’m willing to endure some inebriation.

I’ve had much better success after swapping edibles for vaping, and fully deciding to embrace the recreational aspect of marijuana.  Using recreationally is actually fun.  Who knew recreation could be enjoyable?  My favorite variety so far is called “Pineapple Express”.  All aboard!

Being a complete neophyte, it took several tries to figure out vaping.  At first I was too tentative and didn’t inhale enough to get a noticeable effect.  On the second try I took a deep draw and ended up coughing for the next 20 minutes.  Are we having recreation yet?  Third time's the charm.

The technique that seems to work is to inhale a partial lungful in about 4 or 5 seconds, then continue inhaling only fresh air to finish filling the lungs which causes enough dilution to avoid coughing (mostly).  Hold for a few seconds, then exhale.  Repeat at several minute intervals until the desired effect is achieved.

First hit…, no effect.  Second hit…, maybe something.  Third hit… my brain has just left my body.  Awesome!

The best way I can describe the experience (for the few of my readers that haven’t already tried this in college) is that marijuana alters how you experience the world.  Pain is no longer a personal experience, I’m aware of it but not suffering from it.  Food tastes better.  Music sounds better.  I’m content to stay put and don’t have to get up and respond to every thought that flitters into my head.

A short while ago I was experiencing the side effects of chemotherapy, mostly digestive issues and fatigue.  Even with medication to relieve symptoms, it’s still a recipe for spending significant time on the couch resting.  This leads to feeling sorry for myself as I’m quite aware of all the things I can’t do at the moment due to my condition.  Such negative thinking causes stress which impairs recovery.

Several hits later, and the digestive issues are noticeably better.  Pain may or may not be improved, but it doesn’t bother me anymore.  I put on headphones and listen to music.  To say it sounds better doesn’t capture the effect.  It becomes very easy to close my eyes and imagine that I’m at a concert.  I can easily visualize the band on stage (sometimes as a cartoon, but we’ll ignore such details for the moment), the crowd dancing, and the general party atmosphere.  My body might be relaxing on the couch, but my mind is getting out and enjoying life.

Have you ever had a really good dream at night that left you in a good mood for most of the next day?  That’s what this experience was like.  Long after sobering up I still have a happy memory of the experience, and part of that may be a product of honestly being able to relax and rest.

Several hours after the effects wear off I sometimes find myself somewhat ambitious and getting involved in things.  Life slowly changes from a perpetual purgatory of side effects to alternating between periods of true relaxation and periods of productivity and activity.

Being able to think positive thoughts in adverse circumstances is a habit as much as it is a skill.  Psychoactive substances (marijuana, benzodiazepines, antidepressants, etc.) can be thought of as training wheels on a bicycle.  It makes it easier to think positively at first, and as the habit is developed it becomes easier to repeat in the future.  At a physical level, it’s actively forming well worn paths in the brain that become easier to follow each time.

Beyond such practical explanations, given that medication for many serious conditions (not just cancer) have life altering side effects, if there were a drug whose side effects include euphoria and giggling, wouldn’t you *want* those side effects?

Wait, I just had a great idea!  You have to hear this.  If marijuana can make headphones feel like going to a concert, it must make actually going to a concert seem that much better!  I can’t believe nobody ever thought of getting stoned at a concert before.  Somebody has to try that!

No comments:

Post a Comment