Tuesday, March 2, 2021

A BHAG for 2021 and an outing from 2018

What is a BHAG?  It's an acronym I read in a book some years ago that stands for "Big Hairy Audacious Goal".  It's a big goal that scares you just a little bit, and it shouldn't be a slam dunk to accomplish.

A lot of runners set a goal of running a full marathon in all 50 states.  If that's isn't a BHAG I don't know what is.  But that's a long way beyond my abilities for the near future.  A single marathon is beyond reach in 2021, in my humble opinion, but is still on my bucket list should I get a long enough remission to pull it off.

But I like the idea and came up with a modified version.  I'll run, walk, or hike 5K (3.1 miles) or further in 50 different municipalities (towns and cities) in the northeast, and I'll accomplish it by the end of 2021.  This is not easy.  It was just this past weekend that I covered 5K in a single outing for the first time since Thanksgiving day.  That left me quite tired afterwards, and didn't involve any driving to and from a different town.

To complicate matters further, it's not enough for me to just go somewhere and cover the requisite distance.  I want to take pictures and write a short description of the adventure here in the blog, so I have something to talk about besides cancer.  The "Tom in motion" blog will finally have some motion in the form of driving cars to new places and running, walking, or hiking depending on my health and what's appropriate for the destination.

There's several challenges to reaching this goal.  For starters, I'm pretty good at starting on a plan like this, but then get distracted or otherwise lose interest part way through.  My house is a museum to projects I'll get back to someday.  This would require some personal growth even if I were perfectly healthy.

This also assumes my cancer continues to shrink, side effects of treatment are tolerable, and my fitness and energy levels continue to improve.  Weather is also an issue.  It would be problematic if the best weather days are on infusion days or when I'm in the initial recovery phase afterwards.  Extreme whether like a blizzard when I'm having a good health day would cause problems with both driving and footing.

But there are many benefits to attempting to reach such a goal.  My treatment plan is to continue my chemo indefinitely.  Balancing the benefits of chemo shrinking my tumors with quality of life can be an arbitrary conundrum.  But when I have a specific goal, it becomes a gauge to help make decisions.  I can't meet my goal if I avoid all treatment because I'll be dead, so I need some treatment.  On the other hand, if the cancer is well under control but I can't manage to cover 5K, then it's time to talk about stretching out the chemo cycle or other means of making it easier to tolerate.  I'm not trying to live the most number of days, I'm trying to live the most number of GOOD days that I can.

And of course it gives me what feels like an attainable goal to focus on and write about for the remainder of 2021.  I'm quite excited at the prospect of adventure and discovery.  I can easily visit about a dozen places that I've been to before, and it's certainly in my plans to revisit them.  But to get to 50 I'll have to find places I've never been to.  And since I'll be writing about it there will need to be something of interest to grab not only my interest, but the interest of you the reader.

Finally, while this focuses me on what I can do in 2021, if I do manage to achieve this goal in 2021, it probably means I've found that balance in treatment to keep my cancer under control with good quality of life, and that will set me up for something even more epic in 2022, but I have no expectations of what that will be at this time.  Live life one BHAG at a time.

This is also my attempt to set an example of how to live well with cancer.  It's been a huge surprise how many people I've inspired since my diagnosis, but to me I'm just paying it forward as a means of thanking those who have inspired me in the past, and continue to inspire me to this day.  It's so easy to feel sorry for oneself after a devastating diagnosis, but with some effort you can have many enjoyable moments in your life with cancer or whatever other chronic ailment you have.

To give an idea of what I intend to do 50 times during the remainder of the year, here's a report of an outing to Jamaica Vermont in September of 2018.  I did a lot of such outings prior to my diagnosis, taking pictures and intending to write about them in this blog, but as mentioned before I sometimes lack the focus and discipline to follow these efforts through.  So I'm actually very happy to finally write about one of my fun adventures.

But first, a tiny bit of context.  At this time it was about a month and a half before my diagnosis of prostate cancer with widespread metastases to my bones.  The signs were there when I did this.  Symptoms of the caner in my bones were masquerading as the start of overuse injuries.  I occasionally had blood in urine, particularly after long outings such as this.  I had been to a walk in clinic, and they recommended following up with a urologist, but didn't give me any sense of urgency even though I asked how urgent it was.  And of course, the first attempts to find a urologist online were fraught with too many reviews for how good they were at performing vasectomies, which wasn't really the skill I was looking for, but I digress.  On with the report!

Here's me partway though the adventure.  Stopping to take a selfie is a great way to catch one's breath when going up a long steep hill.  If you look carefully you can see a glimpse of my ponytail hiding behind my neck.

Jamaica is the next town over from our weekend getaway in Vermont.  I ran and walked about two and a half miles to reach an abandoned road that led off into the woods to places not on any map.  The road followed a stream that's in the process of cutting a small gorge through the rocks:

About a mile down the abandoned road the road crossed a fairly wide but shallow stream.  A bit of exploring showed where a bridge used to be just upstream from this photo.  The ground was built up on both sides of the stream, but no bridge spanning the stream between them.


I got my shoes, socks, and feet wet crossing this stream, but it was a moderately hot day so cool wet feet weren't a problem.  It was down hill for the first mile to the stream, then went steeply uphill on the other side of the stream, which is where I stopped to take the selfie above.

There's a few gravel roads on the other side of the stream that appear semi-maintained in that there aren't any trees down across the road.  I found three houses back there, all off the grid.  Perhaps they're better called camps.  I don't know if people are driving through the stream to get there, or using another road that hooks up to proper roads in Jamaica.  All I know is that these roads aren't particularly suited to large trucks, so how these houses were built, maintained, and serviced (propane delivery?) are a mystery to me.  It should also be pointed out that only two of the houses are maintained.  The third is abandoned and collapsing in on itself, and that is the one that caught my attention.  For one thing, I didn't feel like I was trespassing when moving in to get a closer look and take photos.


Around the backside the outside wall of the bathroom had totally blown out, ejecting the toilet into the back yard.  I didn't know a collapsing house could cough a toilet into the yard.


Interesting that a chaise lounge is out in the backyard as if it had been recently used.  It's the first sign that the owners of this house had every intention of returning, and the reason they abandoned it is a complete mystery.  Perhaps it was because the bridge on the road washed away.  Or maybe because of a sudden death or major health issue in the family.

Our weekend getaway takes some effort to enjoy.  Besides the obvious work of maintaining two houses, there's the issue of having to pack up and drive for each visit, though going to the same place every time has its advantages.  There's some food in the fridge and clothes in the bedroom, so it's largely a matter of hopping in the car, stopping for a few groceries in route, then enjoying the place.  Every few visits a basket of laundry goes to our primary residence for washing.

Of course, Covid and power outages have made things a tad more tricky.  We do shopping at the local grocery store in Massachusetts and bring food up in a cooler.  For the time being we're just making day trips because the plumbing has been drained after the furnace quit working.  It's since been fixed, but we're waiting for mid March when the truly cold weather should be over before restarting the plumbing and restocking the fridge.

With that in mind, I can easily see this abandoned house being owned by a pair of retired grandparents, that have their children and grandchildren come to visit during the summer.  Then something happens to the grandparents, and their children are too busy with the grandchildren and work and life to come up and maintain the place, so it stays in whatever state it was left in and slowly starts collapsing as the roof fails and water leaks damage the structure of the house.  I don't see that any attempt was made to clean up the place and bring home any valuables.

I didn't dare step foot inside the house, though I could have, but it felt very unsafe and also started to feel like trespassing.  But I did put my arm in through an open window and took a picture of the kitchen:


There's dirty dishes next to the sink and an old box of borax on the window sill.  I don't know if they left it this way, or if squatters were using the place for a while.  I find it fascinating to think of the good times a family had getting away from it all in off the grid Vermont, and now that is in the past and the house is left to rot and be animal habitat.  Trees would need to be cut down before the lawn could be mowed again.  It's both sad and fascinating at the same time.

By the time I got back out our getaway, I had covered 9.6 miles and 1600 feet of elevation gain and loss in a bit over three hours.  After that outing I didn't cover more than 9 miles in an entire week until mid November when Lupron was finally starting to work and ease my pain.  I don't recall but I was probably also on opioids at the time as well.

There are several abandoned houses scattered on various roads both on and off the grid in our area of Vermont, and I like to try to visit them once a year, take a few photos, and notice the parts that have decayed in the interim.  I'd love to revisit this house as part of my 50 town challenge and see how it's changed with time, but I don't see an almost 10 mile hike in my near future.  But, I do see driving to the start of the abandoned road and being able to walk 4 or 5 miles to get to the house.  It will take a bit more training, but it feels within reach.

It's not just abandoned houses I'm after.  I know areas with spectacular scenery, a couple dams that I find interesting, and some places are just interesting to me because of connections they have with important moments in my life.  For example, in Natick there's a surprisingly large trail network behind the hospital where I get my chemotherapy.  That will probably be on the list because of the association with my treatments, even though there's nothing especially spectacular about the woods other than it being totally unexpected.

Suggestions for places that might be interesting to me and/or the readers are encouraged!

Hopefully I'll have a report on my first one or two BHAG outings by the end of next week, just before my next chemo infusion.  Spoiler alert: One will probably be Devens MA for personal historical reasons.  Life goes on despite cancer and is getting more interesting again.  I've found several fresh reasons to get up in the morning, and it feels great!




4 comments:

  1. Absolutely awesome, brother. Keep up the posts and keep the faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're interested I'd join you for a walk at Castle Island once the weather is warm. If you've never been, it's terrific. There's an old fort and vets gave tours on occasional Saturdays before Covid. You can get hot dogs, fish and chips or lobster rolls at Sullivans then eat on a bench looking at all the different boats in the harbor or planes taking off and landing at Logan. Again before Covid there were lots of people walking dogs, helping their kids on every sort of bike or scooter, and in the water, sailboats, cruise ships, sometimes even kiteboarders in Pleasure Bay which you can walk around on a 1-mile path. It's beautiful. It's the last place my husband and I went while he could go out. He died in December. Think about it. What a great, motivating project. https://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/castle-island.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an awesome idea once we get past this &*(# pandemic. I'll also need to build up my endurance to pull it off. It's one thing to walk a 5K, it's another thing to go hours and hours without taking a nap on a couch. :-)

    My condolences on the loss of your husband. Castle Island must bring up a mixed bag of emotions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Researching genealogy it seems health issues are the primary reasons for sudden upheaval in living situations. And then, of course, lengthy probate cases where the lawyers end up getting most of the liquid assets and then closing the estate. Leaving stubborn legatees to hang onto their property but without the means to maintain it. Often unable to get signatures to sell.

    ReplyDelete