Monday, January 12, 2009

Car Ice Sculpture


It seemed like a brilliant idea at the time. Put the daily driver in the garage during a snowstorm, and put the sunny day car outside. That way I can just hop in the daily driver and go in the early morning, and sweep the fun car off at my leisure, after all the snow has stopped falling.

But two things spoiled my plan. First, mother nature is a bitch, and decided that snow should be mixed with rain and ice to form a substance that is stronger than the sheet metal and glass it adheres itself to. Second, I live in the woods, and any car left outside longer than a day or two without being moved counts as ideal living quarters for rodents. If the car stays for a week, they start filming reality shows in it.

So now my beloved Mustang is suffering from Mice ‘n’ Ice, and must be moved back into the garage until the next storm comes by. So, clear the driveway with the snow thrower before it freezes solid. It’s never a good sign when a water fountain comes out of the chute. Now get out the snow broom, and put it aside because that snow is simply too frozen for it.

Nah, we’re gonna need to break up the frozen snow with our bare hands and throw the chunks off. Better find a good pair of gloves for that. Did I mention I lose most of my gloves? But there’s a pair in the pickup truck I can go get. Hey look! The mice chewed the thumb off. No fair, I didn’t leave it outside that long!

Okay, now we can start up the car, and after 15 minutes or so with the defroster on high we can chisel a slit into the ice on the windshield, good enough to go from the side of the garage into the garage itself. Did I mention I custom ordered this car and opted not to get the rear window defroster? Stupid!

So now I have an ice sculpture in my garage that vaguely resembles a car. Still trying to figure out how to melt the rest of the ice off of it, particularly the trunk. Today I tried putting my drop light in the trunk and hoped the heat from the bulb would thaw the ice, sorta like an automotive EZ bake oven. No go. Hmm, maybe a hair drier? I’ll have to try that tomorrow. Gotta do something to get the snow and ice off before the next storm so I can do this all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment